Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Why do babies cry?



Much attention has been on Jane August lately, but our Wilson has also grown in leaps and bounds. It seems we have entered into WHY? territory, surrounding the baby and all living things. Why does the sun make it warm, Mommy? Our budding philosopher also poses us questions we are at a loss to answer, though John loves how it reminds him of logic. Why is Elmo, Elmo? Wilson firmly declares that Wilson is Wilson, Mommy is Mommy, and Daddy is Daddy, as if he is realizing the power of naming and the true essence of things (and people). Witness a recent exchange:

Wilson: I am a baby bird. You are the mommy bird.
Gretchen: What is baby Jane?
Wilson: A worm. She is slimy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Slimy, but cute.

a said...

Oh man -- I didn't think the why questions were supposed to start until kids were like 4 or something. Ask the hard questions, Wilson!

And I love that photo of those two cuties together.

- Amanda M.